Journal of an Insomniac

An array of thoughts and ideas that keep me awake at night.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Brevity of Life

Our school has had to face another onslaught of grief today, so soon after Calvin's tragic death. Last night, 17 year old Kyla Kowalik passed away. She'd just returned home from the hospital after a surgery to repair her anterior cruciate ligament. All had gone well, and her mother had gone to inform her friends that Kyla was healthy and would be back in school soon. Then her mother went out for lunch with a close friend. While she was gone, Kyla suffered a bilateral pulmonary embolism, and collapsed on her way down the stairs. Her mother's lunch was interrupted by a terrible phone message: Kyla was dead.

I can't claim to be Kyla's best friend, but her cheerful, helpful attitude and ready smile were infectious, easily making her a friend to many, if not all the people she encountered in her short time on this earth. She was the sort of person you couldn't help but love. Many times, in my daily travel through the halls, I'd pass her by, and seldom would she miss offering me a smile or a bright hello. She was always there to grab the door for me, help me put my things in my backpack after class, or give me a push through the halls. She didn't let the leg brace she needed to wear stop her from giving me a push to class or the library. She always made you feel warm inside when she so freely offered her kindness to anyone she came across.

I remember last year in gym class there was a unit on kickboxing that I couldn't participate in, and I was dreading having to spend the next few weeks of class alone in the weight room feeling down. But the day the unit started, there was Kyla. She cheerfully told me that she had a spare when I had gym, and that she'd decided to come and hang out with me in the weight room and help me so I wouldn't be all alone. That was true Kyla, always willing to offer whatever she had for someone else. I can't believe she's gone.

God seems to really be anxious to get the best of His children back to Him, first with Calvin and now with Kyla. She was a blessing wherever she went, always looking beyond herself to people in need of a little sunshine. She left a void in our hearts and lives when she departed so suddenly. Her empty desk left the classroom a much darker place, creating a space that no other person could fill. I can't understand why this happened, but I thank God for her life, for the countless people she touched, and for the gift of being one of them. Her bright, optimistic spirit and constant smile will be sadly missed. Kyla's kind deeds often made me think she was too good for this world, and I guess that was true. God needed her loving spirit with Him, and had to cut her earthly life short. There are many tears being shed for Kyla, but where she is, there is only joy.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leanne, I just did a search for Kyla's name on google, and amazingly it brought me to your page. What a wonderful tribute to Kyla. I was very saddened to hear of her death. I wish I could have said bye...I wish there was something I could do from so far away. I hope you are doing well, let me know! I miss you guys so much, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. I have the State volleyball finals on Saturday, or else I may have tried to come up for the funeral. She will be missed. Love you!

9:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leanne,
Just wanted to get some of the facts straight. Alot of people assume Kyla died because she broke her neck.. but actually she died from an anurism from her knee surgery.. auptopsy should this. Just thought you might want to know. Great tribute all around.

8:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm really sorry about all this. I never knew Kyla but a lot of people did and I could tell she had touch a lot of lives. I wondered why God took her as well, but that's not up for me to understand. All I can do is pray for those who knew her.

7:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't understand why she's gone. but I can understand why God would've wanted her so close to him, because she truly was an angel on earth.We miss you Kyla & we won'tstop.

7:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew kyla but thats awful to hear she died. Ya just know that a lot of people are praying for your familly. May God comfort you in your time of great need.

7:15 p.m.  
Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend, Leanne!

This is so tragic, but it does teach us to enjoy each day and the love of those around us. Never take a moment of life for granted.

7:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew Kyla personally but i am friend with her brother.As I said i never knew her personally but she is a part of everybody adn this is a great tirbuate to her.Kyla will be be missed deeply by everyone.

5:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey:
Thanks for your tribute.. and the visitations and funeral for Kyla were unbelievable. Anyone can see she was a special person who touched many lives by the amount of people who were there. I never knew Kyla personally.. I am actually a graduate from W.O.. and her mom was my gym teacher. But its always a hard thing to read about someone passing that used to go to my school. It truly is a hard thing to go through.. thanks again for the tribute

12:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone:
I want to say something to everyone who was impacted or touched by Kyla in some way. Remember that even though we don't know why shes gone.. God does. Shes a special gift and one of God precious children and he wanted her to be with him. Its extremly hard to say goodbye and to loose someone you care about..and so this is the time to turn to each other and lean on one another for support. I pray that this will change the lives of students in positive ways and that Kylas testimony of life will help bring out amazing changes in others around you. She can still hear you, see you.. so look up and smile .. because thats what she would have wanted you to do! Keep smiling.. and laughing and keep her memory alive!

12:37 p.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

Hi Peyton! Glad you found my blog, and thanks a lot for the comment. I think it's safe to say that everyone is having a tough time accepting Kyla's loss, but everyone is doing the best they can. It was my 18th birthday last week, and although it's hard to celebrate at a time like this, I still managed to have a lot of fun. I miss you to, Peyton!

To the anonymous tipster who gave me the correction: thanks. I found out about the details in the paper, but hadn't added it into my blog yet.

Thank you to everyone for the words of encouragement. I wasn't as close to Kyla as I wish I had been, but her loss was still very hard. I know somehow God will bring good out of it. He doesn't waste a tear, and He certainly doesn't waste a life.

3:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too do not understand why this happened. I have found no answers to my question: "Why?". I have only found words of comfort. Here are a few to share with you.

"Truly tough when something like this happens... We want to ask how a good and loving God would let something like that happen, but know we likely will not hear an answer. We just have to trust that He knows what He is doing, even if we do not understand it all."

"It sounds like she was a very active young woman and full of life...It is sad and such a shame to have life ended so soon. My heart goes out for you and all of Kyla's family....I know what you all are going thru. You are in my heart and my prayers. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I will have you and all the family added to our prayer request Sunday. I know right now we hurt, we are sad and we miss the one we love. These feelings are normal for us. But they are for us not for Kyla or the others who have left. I believe with all my heart that they are happy and content and celebrating in the presence of the Lord Almighty in Heaven. Just imagine the company that they are in. Some day I hope to be there with them too. I look forward to meeting and talking with them (Abraham, Noah, Moses, Jeremiah, Peter and of course Paul). And of course seeing my loved ones. And Kyla too."

Leanne, thank you for your tribute. I love what you said: "I know somehow God will bring good out of it. He doesn't waste a tear, and He certainly doesn't waste a life."

Ky, I love you. I miss you. Walk us through this one. Don't leave us alone.

12:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Leanne, you probably have no idea who I am but I would like to thank you for posting your tribute to Kyla. I am a few years older then Kyla, but was a good friend of hers through various school sports and activities. She was like a little sister me and I miss her so much. You could always count on Kyla's big hugs to get you through anything. No matter how you were feeling, somehow her big bear hugs would make you feel so much better. In fact I used to call her my Kyla-Bear. Her death has left a huge hole in my heart, and I can't believe its already been a month. I love you so much Kyla. I'll never forget you.

6:50 p.m.  
Blogger Leanne said...

Thanks so much to all who posted! Your comments truly show how much Kyla was loved, and give me an even clearer picture of who she was. It's hard to believe it's already been so long, but it's comforting to know that Kyla will never, ever be forgotten by those who remember her.

9:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home