Journal of an Insomniac

An array of thoughts and ideas that keep me awake at night.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

For Dave

"In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed, it must be achieved." -Frankin D. Roosevelt

All of my life, I've looked up to my brother. He was - and still is my role model. He's going through a hard time right now, and through a lot of it, I struggled to understand and respect him the way that I always have. Sometimes it seems like the brother I know and love is gone, but I know that's not true.

I have so much respect for you, Dave. I may not show it as often as I should, but I know looking back that ever since I can remember, I've been trying to gain your approval and respect.

There are countless times in my life when I can remember my parents "ganging up on me." I've never had the skill of holding back tears when voices are raised, but I could always count on Dave to say the words that I could not, due to my blubbering. That didn't go unnoticed, and I'm deeply thankful for it.

As discussed in a previous post, I've hit some rough spots on my road of life thus far. During these times, I often felt like I was drowning in my own emotions. For a long time it seemed that no one quite understood how I was feeling, or didn't want to take the time to ask. During those times, Dave was always there with gentle, wise advice and an understanding of what I was feeling, even when I didn't understand it myself. Your wise words have helped me to get through so many hard times, and helped me to grow into who I am. Any wisdom I may have, I received from you. I love you Dave.

I know that there are a lot of difficult days in my brother's life where everything seems to be going wrong, and his world seems to be falling to pieces. It's only understandable that on those days, he may not return home in the brightest of moods. No, Dave, you are not a jerk, and you never were. Forgive me for being so over-sensitive to myself, and so under-sensitive to what you're going through. I want you to know that I respect you and love you so much! You are such an understanding brother and such a wise mentor to me. You have so many gifts and talents! It doesn't matter to me, or to anyone what you have on the outside. The reason I, and everyone who knows you, love and respect you so much is for your heart. You'll always be my role model.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

It's a wonderful gift for siblings to be able to support each other. It sounds like you and Dave have that kind of bond. Sometimes you encounter rough spots, but as long as you're there for each other when the chips are down, that's what is important.

1:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home